Re: mitzvot music

Below is the translation of the traditional Orthodox ketuba.  It
contains something that you could call  a vow, though not in the
biblical sense.  More like the sense of promise.  Actually a contract
or covenant.  Egalitarian ketubot contain similar language but are
more symmetrical.  The part you could call "vows" are in upper case.

Usually the only music we play at the khupe is background music at
the beginning, music for processionals, music for the bride circling
the groom under the khupe, and khosn-kale mazltov or simn-tov after
the breaking of the glass.  Very rarely have we been asked to play
music in the middle of the ceremony, but one notable occasion was a
couple who were labor organizers who asked us to play some Yiddish
labor movement songs during the ceremony.

This is the Orthodox text.  You can find other texts at:
        http://www.HebrewLettering.com/customprintforms/ketubatexts.html

On the _______ day of the week, the _______ day of the month _______
in the year _______ since the creation of the world, according to the
reckoning which we are accustomed to use here in _______ in_______ .
Now _______ son of _______ of the family _______ said to _______
daughter of _______ of the family _______ : Be thou my wife according
to the law of Moses and of Israel, and I WILL WORK FOR THEE, HONOR,
PROVIDE FOR AND SUPPORT THEE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PRACTICE OF
JEWISH HUSBANDS, WHO WORK FOR THEIR WIVES, HONOR, PROVIDE FOR AND
SUPPORT THEM IN TRUTH. AND I WILL SET ASIDE FOR THEE AS A _______
_______ SILVER ZUZ, WHICH BELONG TO THEE ACCORDING TO RABBINIC LAW,
AND THY FOOD, CLOTHING AND OTHER NECESSARY BENEFITS WHICH A HUSBAND
IS OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE; AND I WILL LIVE WITH THEE IN ACCORDANCE WITH
THE REQUIREMENTS PRESCRIBED FOR EACH HUSBAND."

And _______ consented and became his wife. Her belongings that she
brought from her family's home, in silver, gold, valuables, clothing
and household furnishings, all this _______ the said groom accepted
in the sum of  _____ silver pieces, adding from himself another _____
pieces, making a total of ___ hundred silver pieces. And thus said
_______ the groom:

"I TAKEUPON MYSELF, AND MY HEIRS AFTER ME, THE SURETY OF THIS
KETUBAH, OF THE DOWRY AND OF THE ADDITIONAL SUM, SO THAT ALL THIS
SHALL BE PAID FROM THE BEST PART OF MY PROPERTY, REAL AND PERSONAL,
THAT I NOW POSSESS OR MAY HEREAFTER ACQUIRE. ALL MY PROPERTY, EVEN
THE MANTLE ON MY SHOULDERS, SHALL BE MORTGAGED FOR THE SECURITY OF
THIS KETUBAH AND OF THE DOWRY AND OF THE ADDITION MADE THERETO,
DURING MY LIFETIME AND AFTER MY LIFETIME FROM THIS DAY FOREVER."

And the surety for all the obligations of this ketubah, dowry and the
additional sum has been assumed by _______ the groom, with the full
obligation dictated by all documents of ketubot and additional sums
due every daughter of Israel, executed in accordance with the
enactment of our sages, of blessed memory. It is not to be regarded
as an indecisive contractual obligation nor as a stereotyped form.
And we have completed the act of acquisition from _______ son of
_______ the bridegroom, for _______ daughter of _______  this ____ ,
for all that which is stated and explained above, by an instrument
legally fit to establish a transaction. And everything is valid and
established.
Witness____________________________
Witness____________________________

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band
Colrain, MA 01340
voice/fax: 413-624-3204
http://www.WholesaleKlezmer.com
Please include your USPS address and phone number in your email
signature on all business correspondence.