Re: mitzvot music (was Scarborough Fair tune)

on 7/16/02 12:05 PM, Jeremy A Schiffer at schiffer (at) columbia(dot)edu wrote:

> But many people cannot afford to hire a full band of union musicians for
> their events; that's why they turn to less "professional" groups for
> assistance. Just because a group is paid less, it does not mean they are
> necessarily inferior, or unable to live up to a basic commitment (and
> conversely, just because someone can't pay thousands of dollars doesn't
> mean they should be doomed to a lousy wedding band). As long as the band
> has good enough chops and a modicum of responsibility, by taking the time
> before the event to make sure that everyone is on the same page, nearly
> all forseeable problems should be avoidable.

Well , this could go off topic very quickly, but as someone who makes a
living as a musician, I take very seriously the idea that a bunch of non
professionals would get together to undermine the viability of music as a
profession. And by the way, while what you say is true regarding the quality
of music, it is the exception, not the rule.
Futher, I have always been able to accomodate a wide variety of budgets,
while keeping within industry norms.

Jordan hirsch
Neshoma Orchestra
Klezmerfest