Re: vibrato

Just a point here: Is this discussion about vibrato AND vibrati, the
ornaments used in the baroque period that, on a wind instrument, were done
with the fingers over the holes and used as ornaments rather than something
added to the sound?
We should perhaps clarify this for those who are perhaps unaware of the
distinctions these authors are writing about.
(BTW, I had R. Donington as a guest professor for a semester in grad school.
We were all SO very excited to be able to take a class with the man who wrote
"The Big Fat Book" as he called it. Came the classes, time after time, he had
virtually nothing to say or add to an undergraduate knowledge of performance
practices of the baroque period. Quite disappointing, which left me skeptical
about his book(s) after that semester.
At least we got an autograph out of the semester.)
adrianne