Re: Dancing

There have been numerous comments on dancing. While I have never been
to a shtetl and didn't grow up doing this dancing, the dance leading
that we've done in the Wholesale Klezmer Band works very well without
direct instruction. I think this is key to getting people up to
dance, as they don't feel any "performance pressure." One of us is
usually out there with the dancers to model the style. Simple walking
or step-together-step does well for the circle, and we demonstrate
various things to do for shining...and then the dancers do their own
movements, which rarely look out of place.

I find that, when I'm in a situation where there is a lot of
instruction, dancers tend to do "follow the leader" and don't do
their own movements. When this goes on for too long, I find myself
feeling claustrophobic and leave the circle to look for people doing
something looser. This works better in smaller circles. Everyone may
do the same steps for a time, but it is much easier to switch to a
different step as another dancer initiates one, in a smaller group.
This creativity is quite delightful, and   one is able to follow
changes in the music.

As I think about it, when a small group (up to a dozen dancers, for
example) does the same step together for a while, you get into a
trance-like state, which is great. But that doesn't happen in a large
circle. I guess there is the possibility for the smaller circle to
have a certain rhythm or pulse that works with the music. I don't
usually feel that in a large circle. I'll have to observe this
phenomonen some more.

I consider us to be the most successful when teenagers get into the
dancing. At a recent bas mitzve simkhe, 70% of the guests were on the
dance floor, dancing joyfully, and I saw some teens gingerly move
onto the dance floor. The next time I looked at them, they were
dancing with simple steps in a small circle, totally
un-self-concious, smiling happily. What a treat to see this.

Khaye

Peggy

Peggy H. Davis Calligraphy
and