Re: dancing

In a message dated 1/2/02 9:45:40 AM, winklerh (at) hotmail(dot)com writes:

<< I have a question related to this.  When doing for example a freylekhs, I

can understand the free  flowing nature of the dance doesn't require a

leader.  What about dances like the bulgar (circle not couples version) or

the slow hora?  It seems to me that these dances wouldn't work if everyone

was doing something different, just because directional changes involved

would cause havoc.  Is there a way to do these dances without having a

leader?

Helen >>

I agree with the question. Freylekhs I understand. I go out there, join in a
bit, maybe thread a needle for fun sometimes. But if someone doesn't go out
and do the bulgar - even the circle kind -  or the slow hora, then either
they won't know what to do at all or will do the Israeli hora for the bulgar.
I find people enjoy learning the differences in dancing.
I also simply love when the teens get up and join in as Peggy described. It
brings to the simkhe a real sense of "success" knowing that young people have
connected to their culture and enjoying it. I find there's no real pattern of
how to get success at each simkhe. Different crowds mean different reactions.
The way the food is served, when and what is served, even contributes to
success or not. The only thing I can really count on is if a client says
"We're really dancers; we want to dance a lot. We want to learn. We'll really
get out there." Or, "We're probably more into shmoozing for the afternoon so
don't try too hard." And then I just read them and find out for myself...
Adrianne