Re: Dancing

That's right, Helen.  My impression is that people "dance the way the
music moves" you because they don't know what else to do.  If they knew
how to dance to the music they would do it.  No one really enjoys the type
of experience Helen describes and I've been in the midst of.  They do it
because it's the only "Jewish" dance they have experienced, as a large
group.

If you know how to dance to this music, there is still the chance to dance
the way the music moves you, the improvisatory opportunity of "shaynen" in
the middle of the circle.  People have much more fun knowing what comes
next rather than what you usually see --everyone running and hopping their
way around a circle, then rushing in to the center and out again.  Then,
someone remembers, "The Chairs!", and the poor subjects of the simkhe are
bounced around, hanging on for dear life until they are put down again,
your aunties spin around in the middle of the circle, holding hands, while
everyone else claps.  Then, no one knows what else to do, so the moment is
over and people go back to their seats and the band plays a slow song.

Time to educate people.  Hire a "Yiddish" dance teacher for your
community!

love,
Lorele, former runner and hopper  ;-)

glenn tamir wrote:

> Yes, Toe stepping and arm wrenching are definitely not
> cool.
>
> --- Helen Winkler <winklerh (at) hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I think something to keep in mind is that
> > improvisation is part of Yiddish
> > dancing.  It isn't quite like most people's
> > conception of folk dancing.
> > When you really get into the spirit of it, it is
> > very creative and often
> > there is  a sort of adrenalin that goes round the
> > circle that is hard to
> > explain.  However, it is still different than the
> > chaotic things that happen
> > on the dance floor when people are confused about
> > the dance and end up
> > crashing into each other, stepping on other peoples'
> > toes or wrenching the
> > arm of the person beside them.
> > Helen

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->