RE: kol isha

Margot,

I don't know about the slightly more liberal Lubavitch case, where one
woman in a band was acceptable, but Hasidim don't want _star_ women
instrumentalists like you Margot to perform.  I would bet any money in the
world that it wasn't that they didn't like your demo or your playing.
 There are all kinds of Orthodox communities and one can not always group
them together on every issue, but almost all Hasidim will not hire a woman,
because they don't want the girls/women in their community to see bad
models of womanhood.  And you is a bad model of womanhood, Margot :).  They
don't want the girls to see Jewish women who are not home- and
children-centered, working in the evening instead of tending to their
families, pursuing artistic careers, and, most especially, _enjoying_ those
attention-filled solos that a wonderful clarinetist like you gets.  I am
sorry Margot, but your wonderful playing makes you stand out :).  Standing
out could easily make a woman immodest.  Modesty is an issue, because where
would the band with a woman be placed, in the women's or the men's section?
 A woman, and especially a woman star instrumentalist, will also get the
men looking and fantasizing about her.  Tse, tse, tse.  AND, the fact that
you are single is especially bad, Margot.  They don't want the girls to see
any such behavior rewarded in any kind of way.  Seriously, this is the
community's social control and there is nothing personal about it.  Your
being an excellent musician IS the problem.  If a woman instrumentalist is
just adequate and can quietly blend in with the men, without standing out
in any way, that might be tolerable, if no other bands are available that
night.   (That's what "it depends" means.)  But your demo clearly shows
that that you are not _just adequate_.

A woman travelling with all those men musicians, especially if her husband
is not one of the men?  Oy, yoy yoy.  All kinds of problems will arise,
negiya, possible inappropriate social and emotional intimacy between men
and women, loss on the focus of the mistva of "mesameyakh zayn khosn kale"
[=creating joy for the bride and groom], etc.  Also, a few very Orthodox
women have begun entering the working world and this is creating all kinds
of problems in the frum communities, especially, if those jobs are outside
the heavily controlled frum venues.  You have to go to the rebbe and have
his OK for jobs like that, and rebbes rarely OK them.  The rabbis in the
standard Orthodox communities are losing some control with more and more
Orthodox women entering the work force.  This is scary across the board.
 Kids taking drugs and tuning out of Orthodoxy is no longer an unknown/rare
phenomenon in the Orthodox world.  They recently created a yeshiva for
these kids in Brooklyn.  They blame these problems of course on the working
women.

I know they have a lot of weddings and you could get nightly jobs, but
forget them, Margot.  Perhaps find the girl yeshivas and the event
organizers there.  You could get to the women organizations, which
regularly make women's events and women's melave malkas for you to play at.
 Those women might, might be more amenable.  Or maybe claim that all your
musicians are your brothers and cousins :).

P.S.  Margot and her band played at our daughter's bat mitsva, November
'99.  That is, after the first hour of Mozart sonatas by a concert pianist
- music our daughter insisted upon.  We had to insist on klezmer music.  It
takes all kinds of kids, but, of course, only the kid of a klezmer will ask
for Mozart sonatas at her bat-mitsva.  Margot was wonderful and all our
friends loved her.

Reyzl