kol isha

Khevrim,

A couple of Orthodox members on our list (male and female) have written to me
off-list in a very friendly manner that enabled us to agree to disagree and to
make peace.  It was really quite moving, especially given the heat of this
topic, a great deal of it generated by yours truly.

No one is going to change anyone's mind by this exchange, that's clear.  I must
admit my heart was changed a bit, though, by the kindness of these strangers.
In 2001 in America, Kol Isha seems to be a largely consensual matter.  It seems
reasonably feasible that one can opt out of the community that practices it as
so many have.  It's also possible to participate and read the practice in a sort
of feminist manner, in much the same way Muslim feminists read the less
oppressive forms of modest dress.  (I disagree with these interpretations but
not to the point of thinking those who articulate them are evil or crazy.)  I
also realize that there are those affected negatively by Kol Isha who are not
part of the Orthodox community and I would expect them (and sympathizers such as
myself) to protest.  Nonetheless, I wonder if we can't move on to other things
on the list and try for some common ground.  There are not many of us and we
need each other.

B'Shalom,

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American Studies
University of Minnesota
2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455