About The Rockin' Rebbetzin

>From: CantorJ (at) aol(dot)com
>Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:43:42 EST
>Subject: Kol Isha: from a Female Chazzan's Point of View

"I stand with those who urge respect for our differing viewpoints and
practices.  All our talents are divine gifts, we have an obligation to use
them for holy purposes.  However, not everyone will choose to be inspired
by them and, that is their right. For one, I look forward to continuing the
great exchange of information that has been the hallmark of this list. "

B'drishat shalom,
Cantor Janice Roger
Indianapolis, Indiana
Friends:
I'm just catching up on scanning over a week's missed email (nearly 500
emails, ouch!) after being in NY last week, so I realize I'm a late- comer
to a lengthy discussion. I'd like to make an observation that has struck
me, taken from asking the questions... 1) What is the perspective of an
Orthodox woman on all this (kol isha)?...2) What might be one approach to
dealing with the issue of kol isha for those women that are actually living
in that Orthodox world?

An article in the Jerusalem Post, Monday Jan. 31, 2000 gives some insight.
It was about Michele Garner's radio program on Jewish music on 88.9 fm at
WSIA at the College of Staten Island.  Michele sent me several articles
from various newspapers some time ago, and I've had them on my bulletin
board in my office since then-- as a reminder that there is a wide, wide
world of approaches to Jewish music, and to women in Jewish music. Can we
be open to various viewpoints? Am I? as a non-Orthodox-but warm-to-(some)
tradition-Jewish-woman? --since I personally cannot really imagine living
in a community or household where to sing aloud would be frowned upon and
not allowed.

Yet none of the Orthodox people I know practice this restriction of kol isha.

But...Recognizing that these ideas about singing are in a context, a world
view, and yet practiced within a loving community of Jews, could I
understand that even though I disagree strongly?  It's one thing to read
the books, and about the laws, and the descriptions of reasons, the
arguments pro and con on this list, --and another to try to view/understand
something from the outside looking in--  I personally cannot participate in
blind rages at Jews-- whether it's secular at Orthodox or vice versa. I've
seen the consequences of that all too often, the fragmentations of our
terribly small remnant left from the twentieth century. In a world of 6
billion and growing, our remnant gets smaller all the time, so dialogue
here is crucial. Keep talking and learning from each other. I think it's
been healthy overall.

I am looking for ways that bring us together in whatever contexts are
possible. And where can that be with this issue that seems so black and
white, right and wrong, to people on this list and elsewhere? It's so clear
that each camp feels deeply its justifications, even though, after a week
or so, energies seem somewhat spent, and the voices have all been heard
--seemingly from every possible viewpoint. Some have expressed a new
understanding of the issue. Some have not.

I always tend to get in trouble for trying to find pieces for peacemaking,
but here I go again....

Obviously, I listen to both men and women singing in a variety of settings,
and believe in the beauty of all musics-- and music makers and their
voices-- as something positive-- and wouldn't want to give up anything.

But what of this orthodox woman's world? What of her ideas? These women are
not merely passive captives to a culture, but vibrant, creative dynamic
Jewish women. In an interesting post, someone brought up that they held a
conference about it, to discuss their issues. Now, is there any area for
finding concepts or common ground or anything positive from a modern point
of view-- from the outside-- on this seemingly shameful/outrageous (to
non-orthodox) practice?

So that brings me back to one woman's viewpoint I read about....The
articles in question contain the following quotes, which I think are
pertinent to show one thoughtful Orthodox woman's response to some of these
issues on women singing/ or rather, not singing, in public..... which of
course Michele can certainly speak for herself... but here's what the
Jerusalem Post in January, 2000 had to say about her efforts on her radio
show:

"From 8:45 until 10, Michele takes over. Michele's on-air persona is 'The
Rockin' Rebbetzin,' and she doesn't hold back. Her "Kol Isha Show" plays
only women's music, and includes leading female performers such as Neshama
Carlebach (of course), Tofa'a, Tirtza Singer, Fran Avni, Debbie Friedman,
and Tzufit."

When I read that article, I thought, wow!  that one of the great things was
that she was playing REFORM women's Jewish music as well as music from the
Orthodox women! Carlebach AND Friedman. Secular and religious. And that,
_in her context_  she is bringing people together with the music... Jewish
women from different walks of life.  What I liked about it was that Michele
was finding a way, a path, to have a unity, a sisterhood, among Jewish
women, and yet staying within the context of her own community. Working
within her boundaries, yet pushing them. I admired that.

With her radio show she is combining the 'modern' venue and technology of
radio with her living tradition. But also doing it in a
"non-denominational" way-- by bringing in the voices and recordings of
non-Orthodox women. It was a dimension that seems to work for her and that
is apparently filling a void for these orthodox women who need the music.

>From another article that appeared in the Staten Island Advance, Dec. 17,
1999, "Jewish Life" section, the article reports that she received counsel
of a respected authority of halakha. And she also received a brocha, a
blessing, for success for her show, from the orthodox rabbi.

"The most groundbreaking thing, the original thing, is Orthodox Jewish
women singing. A lot of women haven't been given a voice. Michele's the
original thing here."

"The artists whose music she plays are in total agreement.
"She fills a very, very important need in the community, especially for
Jewish women," said Manhattan singer/songwriter Shoshannah. "She supplies
an avenue for women who don't have any other avenue to express their
creativity. I'm very grateful to her."

Another person was quoted as saying:
"She's bringing a lot of music to the world, and a lot of light to the world."

Another article from The Jewish Week, July 16, 1999 quotes Michele:

"Initially I didn't have enough material to play, but once the word got out
about the show, a lot of Jewish female vocalists sought me out via email or
by phone...."

The article goes on to state:

"Now when she enters the studios, she finds her mailbox full of new CDs for
her play list."
**************
If a woman living with, and working around, all these restrictions of "kol
isha" can find common ground, and play music of Jews from a variety of
walks of life, then all the more so,...then surely we .... the rest of
us... can find ways of making and finding some common ground. It's a lesson
we can learn from.

At 05:44 PM 2/19/01 EST, you wrote:
>Lenka, I would be honored to play your CD on my Radio show. Please send a
>demo to :Rockin' Rebbetzin WSIA
>2800 Victory Blvd
>Staten Island NY, 10314
>

>(I will add my two cents about the Kol Isha Issue when I have more time to
>write)
>Michele  Garner

Judith S. Pinnolis
Reference Librarian
Coordinator for Publications and Training
Brandeis University Libraries
Goldfarb Library MS045
P.O Box 549110
Waltham, MA 02454-9110