Re: Kol Isha

In a message dated 2/21/01 9:49:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
shirona (at) bellatlantic(dot)net writes:

> Men were bought and sold for money
> *Men had no political, economical of social rights
> *Men had to share a household with other men, married to one woman
> *Men had to do all the menial jobs
> *Men had to "obey" their wives
> *Men had to walk three steps behind their wives
> *Men were made to bare responsibility for women's weaknesses - "shave your
> hair off - your hair is a turn-on!  Don't sing, your singing is a turn-on!"
> and so on...

Judaism has nothing in it to suggest that Women were sold for money.
Women have always had economic and social rights, and protections.
Concibines and polygamy were theoretically permitted, but the practice was
rare, until the 10th century, when they were forbidden.
In the ancient world, everybody did the "menial" jobs.
Nowhere in halacha does it say that women have to obey their wives. Custom in
Halachic practice goes according to the man, but Jewish identity goes
according tot he woman, as well as other practices.
Halacha does not require the wives to walk three steps behind the husband.
Halacha does not require shaven heads. It does not forbid women from singing.

Part of the problem here is that Shirona's perception of Jewish law is based
on sociological conditions cutting across the various places where Jews
lived. Consider, on the other hand, that the laws of modesty as enumerated in
the Talmud were the most significant attempt until then to prevent the
objectification of Women, in an ancient world that in many places had a view
of women that was savage at best.
Halachic marriage requires the consent of the women, (the concept in Halacha
is called Daas) also revolutionary n the ancient world.
Jewish marriage includes the Ketubah, which is the earliest known attempt at
providing financial protection for the Bride.
Halacha even required that the husband provide dignified clothing and
jewelry, in order that the wife be treated with respect in the greater
community. In addition, the husband is not allowed to refuse the wife sexual
intercourse, and is required according to his occupation to provide himself
to sexually satisfy the wife on a sliding scale of frequency depending on her
request.
In other, while to our contemporary minds some of these requirements may seem
quaint at best, before Halacha the idea of creating protections for the woman
was unheard of.
All this does not mean that things are perfect. Many of the things Shirona
mentioned are found in the practice of Chasidim. But for all their numerical
prevalence in certain quarters, and their domination of the perception of
Jewish life among the non observant, these practices represent a small
minority of all Orthodox practitioners.

Jordan

Jordan Hirsch

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->