Re: schmaltz, pandering and Klezmatics

In a message dated 7/21/99 9:53:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rogovoy (at) berkshire(dot)net writes:

<< yes, you do Mike, and that's great, and all power to you. but that's not
the
 primary responsibility of a concert artist -- unless he chooses it to be so,
 and can pull it off without violating the integrity of his concert art >>

Enjoying your arguments with me!!
You make some good points which, of course, I don't agree much with....but
then again...in my first post on the subject....I don't claim to be a Klezmer
(or for that matter a musical) expert as many of you seem to be (this is
statement of fact and a compliment, not a wisecrack as it could be understood
to be.)

I can't grasp the notion that entertaining the audience is almost a
by-product of the concert and not the goal. Would people return to see a
performer more than once if they were not entertained the first time?  Sorry,
if you folks feel that I am dense or myopic on this subject........

Could be that being a rather simple  simcha musician has it's rewards.....one
of which being free of the almost arrogant attitude that you seem to
attribute to the concert musician.

Maybe (let's hope) we are having a semantics problem rather than a
philosophical one!!!!

mike