Re: schmaltz, pandering and Klezmatics

I am certainly with Seth on this one. Sorry, Mike, but there are a lot of
different reasons for
composing/making music - as well as for listening to it.  Being entertained is
only 1 of them.  It
is more than legitimate for an artist to follow his or her own aesthetic sense,
to develop an
interesting, insightful and - maybe, if we're all lucky - original style.
Clearly, the artist is
trying to communicate something through the music.  Sometimes it is more
accessible to some
audiences than other times.  Schoenberg, Pederecky, Steve Reich and Frederic
Rzewski aren't
entertaining, but they are interesting.  Sometimes they are (or were)ahead of
audiences, but that
doesn't mean that they should stop composing.  I agree with the posters who
point out that it's
important to let your audience know what they are coming to hear.  It would be
very dull musically
if all music was aimed at entertaining alone!  What is most marvelous about New
Yiddish Music is
that it encompasses the simkhe music, but is able to take audiences beyond
that, to reach a
broader understanding of what makes up "klezmer" and Yiddish music.

Shira Lerner