re:schmaltz, pandering and Klezmatics

Yes:
I agree with you.  But then you need to account for some performer's lack of
exhibition.  What I mean by that is that some performers are interested in
their work for the sheer enjoyment that they get rom it--but they don't know
how to impart that to an audience.
Better communication/performance skills with an audience are probably needed
here.