Re: Beginner's books

Eleanor Gordon Mlotek, and sometimes Joseph included, did an excellent job
of collecting and presenting Yiddish art and folk_songs_, not musical
arrangements, except for the nicely done tabulation accompanying the
melodies.  The three volumes that one is most likely to find are Mir Trogn
a Gezang, (which might mean We Carry a Tune, but I'm not sure) Pearls of
Yiddish Song, and Songs of Generations.  The first is sometimes difficult
to find in print.

There are some Klez folios available with parts, but you have to go through
them to find something you like.  And, of course, there are the Kamen
books, which are still available in Bb and C parts for the only extant
books, #1 and #9, if memory serves.  I remember finding some downloadable
scores somewhere online.  If you want, I'll dredge the URL up for you.

Lori

At 03:15 PM 7/21/99 PDT, you wrote:
>Hiya:
>check out any of the books from YIVO
>I believe YIVO is now on line.
>Also---there are some simple dance tunes in both
>MLOTEK books.
>Sorry to be so vague, but my snynapses just went boom.
>Chana MLOTEK, I believe is the editor.
>Both books,one is entitled Pearls from the Yiddish Theatre, and the other is
>called-I can't think of it in English, but it translates as-LET's SING.
>Also, the Ruth Rubin book has a couple of klezmorim tunes, most notably,
>Chakstkeleh---which is very simple and which I have taught to groups.
>Good hunting
>Trudii
>
>>From: <kd (at) bluemail(dot)ch>
>>To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
>>Subject: Notes
>>Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:24:00 EDT
>>
>>Hi everybody
>>
>>I am looking for some beginners notes for a little group. Could you
>>recommend a good book or sheets. We really are just amateurs and
>>students and new in klezmer, so it must be easy to play. It would be
>>good if the notes would have voices for b- and c-instruments (clarinet,
>>violin)
>>

>>Thanks and greetings.
>>
>>Duri Koenz
>>

>>--