Re: schmaltz, pandering and Klezmatics

Hi Everybody,

First I guess I should offer  that I am not a Klezmer expert as many of you
are, although I have been playing the music many years and my band includes
Klezmer in our repertoire (also all styles Jewish plus standards to American
Top 40).  While we work about 130 dates per year, they are mostly bnai
mitzvah, weddings, corporate work, etc....We do, however, perform concerts
about 15-20 times per year.    I also have been hosting my Jewish radio show
for nearly 14 years....

I offer the above partially in spirit of "knowing who we are" and partially
to let you all know that my comments are my views, which I consider informed,
but surely not "edicts from on high!!!"  So please don't interpret this as
pontification, just and expression of views.

I have had the same experiences with Klezmer concerts (and concerts of other
musical styles) as Bert - who started this discussion.

In the last 18 months a couple of "name" Klezmer groups have performed in our
area and both concerts were less than favorably received, and both "enjoyed"
tremendous bashing in the community following the events.

Both groups, names are unimportant, contain world - class musicians and their
music is beyond reproach. Both groups, however, failed miserably in  bonding
with the audience.   They both played what they wanted to play ( and did so
nicely), but it wasn't what the audience wanted to hear. .....nothing
recognizable to these folks in the audience who are not Klezmer  experts, but
just people who want to be entertained.   The audience cannot be faulted, as
they showed up in very good numbers for at least one of the concerts and
respectable for the other.

The key, from my view point, is to know your audience.  If you are on a
college campus the approach may be different than if you are in the condos
over on the east coast of Florida.  If you are in an area such as New York,
where there may be a sophisticated understanding of the developing art form
of Klezmer, you may structure your performance differently than if you are in
a synagogue for a fundraiser out here in the Galut with about 1000 people in
attendence, most of whom don't know Klezmer from Chassidic and really don't
care what the difference is....they just want to have a good time.   This
doesn't mean that the whole play list has to be altered....but the inclusion
of recognizable, audience grabbing tunes, no matter how trite one may find
them, should serve, when the audience requires it, to win over the audience
at the outset.  Once you have the audience on your side, you can move into
original and more "avant garde" pieces..., accomplishing your end goal of
entertaining while exposing people to "your" music. OF course, doing this
while always remembering who you are playing for.

Another area that really seems to need work with some groups is how to talk
to an audience.   As "in your face" as many musicians are with their playing
is exactly what they are not when on mike.   Words drop off, sentences fly
by, etc.  At one concert the group spoke in Yiddish, which elated the 5
people in the audience who were fluent.....and having the effect of many
audience members leaving at the intermission.  Talk about not relating to the
audience.

Other groups have performed in our area with great success. One, KCB, played
in Sarasota on Monday afternoons.....selling out (1400) the return engagement
this past winter.....having reached the audience in earlier appearances......

mike eisenstadt