Re: schmaltz, pandering and Klezmatics

At 2:02 AM -0400 7/23/99, Bloom wrote:
>While Wholesale Klezmer may have played the same set at both places, I
>doubt it was the same show.  For one thing, more Yiddish could be used with
>the older crowd.  I'm sure that the length and content of the explanations
>between songs also varied, and that these changes flowed naturally from the
>fact that Joe was talking to different people when he gave them.

Of course, and thanks for pointing that out.  We have something to say with
our music, and it wouldn't make sense to leave the audience in the dark
about what it is.

We've played for some audiences at which I've asked if anyone in the house
wanted me to translate my remarks into English.  "Redt nor Yidish" (Speak
only Yiddish) shouted back many in the audience.  But what if there were
even five people in the audience who don't understand Yiddish?  Wouldn't
you teach the meaning in English for the sake of the five?

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band
Colrain, MA 01340