From:  Owen Davidson[SMTP:owend (at) tp(dot)net]
Sent:  Monday, July 12, 1999 3:56 PM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant
Subject:  Re: FW: RUN-DMC?

I also understand that one of the guys in 3rd Bass is Jewish.  They included
some
bizarre mock-Jewish shtick on their "Cactus" album ("Oy, Dante, what are we
doing
in the desert?..."), which sounded offensive and possibly anti-Semitic to me.
The perception of anti-Semitism, in the case of rap, may be an assumption
carried
by the hard ghetto-speak tone, rather than the actual content.  In other words,
form of prejudice.  I guess, as with everything, it's very important to listen
for meaning.

Owen