RE: FW: RUN-DMC?

Dear Roni Sarig,

>Lyor Cohen is the head of Def Jam, one of the earliest and most
influential
>rap record labels. The label was once independent, and released the early
>albums of Public Enemy, LL Cool J, and many others, including the (Jewish)
>Beastie Boys. Cohen is not the manager of any of these groups. Now that
Def
>Jam is owned by Universal Music Group (Bronfman's company), Cohen serves
an
>executive in the larger corporation, and continues to play an important
role
>in the release of rap albums.

You many know "more than a little" about rap music next to the _little_
knowledge I know about rap music, but that doesn't mean that you know
enough to say what you say.   A history of "writing" about hip-hop music,
whatever that means, doesn't necessarily mean that the writer is truly
knowledgeable about hip-hop music, myself included here.   I don't know why
your opinions should be taken at face value over what the Jewish Week has
reported about the role of Jewish leaders in this industry.   From some of
the naive comments you have made below, I wouldn't assess that your
knowledge about this industry is superficial, even though you may be very
familiar with the rap repertoire (while I, on the other hand, have made
sure to forget anything I heard.)  Newspapers make mistakes ALL THE TIME,
but this was a lengthy front page article in highly awarded paper and front
page articles get a lot of care in newspapers.   As a regular reader for
the last 17 years of Jewish Week and (several other Jewish newspapers - I
think I read about 6 a week), I have high confidence in just about
everything I read in the Jewish Week, unlike some other Jewish weeklies.
 The Jewish Week is a major information source for the whole American press
and I can't remember when facts in it were successfully challenged.  You
have expressed enough inaccuracies and naivete here for me not to accept
anything you have written below.

I can't access the article now, so I can't quote from it directly, but I
will say the following.
I think I made it pretty clear that in April, Cohen sold his Def Jam
company to Bronfman's company.   It was his company until that point and he
has now joined Bronfman's.   According to the Jewish Week, he was Public
Enemy's manager and in fact made one of the main guys (Russel Simmons) a
partner.   Since there was a quote from Simmons there to that effect, I
don't know why you think you know better.   Cohen released only the first
albums of PE?!?!?!?  I don't know how you write that, but I am not going to
the web page to check it, but maybe you should.

>Cohen is by no means the main force behind hip-hop music. He is an
important
>record executive, but has no role in writing rap lyrics and is not even
>primarily responsible for rap's marketing success (I'd credit that to many
>people and, in large part, to the fact that kids like it).

This is simply your opinion.  If the role of writing lyrics is so
important, I would really like to know when and where have we had a
lyricist, any lyricist whose contribution was limited to lyrics, succeed in
becoming a main force in any part of the American music industry?   Since
when is writing lyrics the measuring stick in assessing power in a music
business?    We are talking about business and not emotional influence
here, of let's say a Leonard Cohen or a Dylan, but then of course, they
didn't become this rich from just writing lyrics to important songs that
other people recorded.   They became a force in the industry once they
recorded their own songs themselves, which is a whole different musical
function.   You make rap music sound here as if we are talking about
geniuses of the likes of Cole Porter, Ira Gershwin, Larry Hart or Sir
Gilbert.  There aren't any in rap - with or without industry power.

If the credit goes to others, when and where has highly shrewd Master
Bronfman Jr. or any other equivalent industry powerhouse offered anyone
$150+ million dollars for their business?   What other rap label or great
record producer did he buy out or bring into Polygram?  If Def Jam is only
a middle size, albeit "important" record company, how does is it that
Polygram can reach control of 25% percent of the whole music market with
the mere acquisition of this company?

>I'd credit that to many people and, in large part, to the fact that kids
like it.

And how did suburban mall kids who know nothing about living in ghettos and
crude daily violence get to like this low-level music?  Yes, of course they
just "naturally" liked it.   Sorry this too naive for a response.
>to say "most" is frighteningly inaccurate. there are thousands of rap
songs
>released each year, and the vast majority have nothing to do with Jews or
>anything political or racial. Most are about having fun, or about
love/sex,
>just like any pop songs. there is, of course, a relatively large portion
of
>songs that address ghetto life and violence. some of it is worthy of being
>condemned, and a lot of it is at least exploitative, but most of it simply
>involves young people talking about, for better or worse, what they see.

Well, that's your opinion and I bet you are young, childless and feel
little responsibility for kids' moral values.   The "thousands" of rap
songs that come out today are mostly derivative.   Mr. Cohen produced and
marketed the first important ones, the ones that set the tone, pattern,
content and attitude of the whole genre.   As for the love/sex obsession, I
think they are stupid, disgusting, and highly destructive to the all kids,
but especially black kids.   I am angry when I see pre-adolescent kids,
black or white, singing those inappropriate songs with their inappropriate
focus.  Young adolescents and teens (5-15) are the ones who buy those
records and the whole genre is inappropriate for them.   Furthermore, just
because "some" of the "total" number of produced records are innocuous,
doesn't mean that this genre is innocuous for it's target audience.   Just
because lots of kids watch those violent cartoons, doesn't mean that they
are good for them or that we should sit for their being shown to children,
and, indeed, people haven't.   Millions of parents, health professionals
and communal leaders have continuously condemned this music from the very
start, so I don't think that this is just a matter of my own personal
"prejudiced" or "paranoid" opinion.   We have all felt this way before and
after Littleton.   Second, other companies and producers may have come
after Cohen, but he was the first and the most important one and he made
this stuff a markettable musical genre according to my information.   If
none of the above would be true and if Cohen would not be a master at this,
Bronfman wouldn't have asked him to stay with the label.   You have to know
a little about corporate business to understand that and I do read trade
papers.

>At the time, I never came across any instance of Cohen
>"staunchly defending" the group (and I read quite a bit about it), though
it
>wouldn't suprise me given that he's a businessman interested in protecting
>his business.

Sorry, you don't know what you are talking about.   I don't know what you
were reading at the time or since, but I myself remember how much heated
verbiage was spilled on TV, radio, and newspapers at the time on their
anti-Semitic remarks, because no one could understand how the record
company (=Cohen) was staunchly defending PE.   Furthermore, the article not
only writes about that very strong defense, but both Cohen and Simmons are
quoted there on the importance of Cohen's strong defense of PE at the time.
  Since I live 13 blocks from 770 Eastern Parkway, I was closely observing
such issues after the Crown Heights pogrom (1991).   But, what I didn't
know at the time was that the owner was not only a Jew, but an Israeli.

>As for Cohen (and Bronfman and others), I agree that they bear a
>responsibility for what they put out, and don't always live up to it. But
we
>must not overstate the issue of anti-Semitism in rap, and we certainly
should
>not rely on Jewish Week for our information about the music.

I gave a list in my writing of what is troublesome in rap music and it
isn't limited to anti-Semitism.   I have no idea how many instances of
anti-Semitic lyrics there are in rap music, but I don't believe that you
know either.   Second, when you write that PE did it again just last year,
it's obvious that they haven't learned anything from nearly a decade of
discussion.  Quantity isn't always the critical issue in these kinds of
things as much as the quality, i.e., the power of the person(s) making a
remark.   A hundred rappers in Harlem recording heavy anti-Semitic or
misogynistic remarks is still not equal to a Public Enemy or a Michael
Jackson making one tenth the strength of a similar comment.

You must be very young, you must come from the suburbs and like this music.
  I live not that far from Bedford Stuyvesant and very glad that my teenage
kids don't listen much to this music anymore...

Reyzl