Re: Giora Feidman

....only a few days, that I haven't looked at the a.m.j. folder
and obviously I did miss some entry about Giora Feidman, which
probably would have been interesting...?

To those  who critisize him for his rather smooth and cool style,
I too would like to mention the following:
As far as I understand, he especially wants to bring klezmer music
back to Central Europe and particularly to Germany. I think that's
great, and he should be praised for his effort. Audiences around here
often are sort of strange, smooth, and cool themselves. They prefer
things a bit more reserved and highbrow. And when it comes to Jewish
music, most people probably exspect something more quiet and a bit
mournful. Most of them probably would not exspect something as
exuberant, lively, and simply overflowing with energy and joy as e.g.
those old freylekhs and bulgars by Brandwein or Tarras.
There isn't much klezmer music around here. But at least Giora
Feidman can be heard every now and then on the radio, in concerts,
and on tv!

I only recently came across a compilation cd of klezmer music from
1907 to 1939. There are 18 tracks on it, of which there are 6 by
Naftule Brandwein and 1 by Dave Tarras. And I must say, this stuff is
really contageuos! I always did enjoy listening to klezmer music, but
these freyleks and bulgars now even prompted me to start playing the
clarinet myself.
(By the way,...does anybody out there perhaps know a klezmer
clarinettist in the Tarras and Brandwein tradition, living in the
Hamburg area, with whom I might take some lessons? If so, please let
me know by e-mail. Of course I'm also looking for more recordings and
written music as well.)

So, I now probably have found 'the real thing' and am 'hopelessly in
the grips of it'. But nevertheless, should I have a chance to go a
klezmer workshop by Giora Feidman, you bet, I gladly will attend too!!!

Greetings!
Cuni

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->