Re: GIORA FEIDMAN

I'll rise to the bait.  In general, I think Feidman "concertizes" the
music.  The other bands named by Zvi the fiddler (klezmorim, kapelye,
maxwell street band) have a "rough-edge".  (There are alot of other groups
also.)
They try to  recapture the sense of Eastern European Jewish music before
it becomes "gentile", kind of westernized and bourgeouis. My read is that
Feidman's musical sensibilities come out of his symphonic background.  I
certainly don't disparage his musicianship, but I find his approach,
paradoxical, both too bland and too sentimental.  It's kind of like
listening to Roumania, Roumania for the umpthteenth time.  There is more
depth to the tradition.

Other recommendations: Itzhak Zohar, Klezmatics (for a distinctly
"post-modern" treatment), Andy Statman.
dennis gura (dengura (at) aol(dot)com)

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->