Re: Giora Feidman

Charlie,
        You are right about the three abovementioned groups being pioneer
revivalists. I guess I wasn't clear with my thought. Incidentally, there
has already been a major brouhaha in the clarinet world over Joel Rubin's
assertion the Giora Feidman is "not worthy of consideration" in an
historic study of Klezmer. Boy, did the fur fly over that one. In any
case, what I meant was that, as far as the listening public is concerned,
he is synonymous with Klezmer. And his name is virtually a household
word. He has been the standard-bearer for Klezmer and has inspired
legions of musicians like me to learn Klezmer. So I feel that I have not
misspoken. However, please do not take this to be a slight upon these
other excellent and worthy revivalists. I both appreciate and admire
them (and, don't forget that I did give up to 50% of the renaissance
credit to them).
        If you get a chance, check out another group I am quite partial
to, Machaya Klezmer Band (which, to be truthful, is my group) which also
listens to lots of old recordings.

Fred Jacobowitz

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Charles H Berg wrote:

> Fred Jacobowitz writes:
> >and has personally been at least 50% responsible for the renaissance
> >in Klezmer appreciation worldwide
>
> As one of the first of the "revivalists", I doubt this is true.  The
> first three revival bands - Kapelye, Klezmorim, and the Klezmer
> Conservatory Band all worked off of original sources - i.e. 78s of the
> 1st generation bands.  Following that, I suspect most of the second
> and nth generation bands did the same, as well as listen to the revival
> bands that recorded before them.  I myself have NEVER heard Feidman,
> except on movie soundtracks, e.g. "Lovers and Other Enemies", which
> also featured K.C.B. and Kapelye.
>
> --
>       Charlie Berg
>       chb (at) world(dot)std(dot)com