Jewish Experience, was Re: klezmer experience

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, ilse mozga wrote:

> But they do not brainwash people, and they do not torture anyone. Their
> success, such as it is, in fact says a great deal about mainstream Judaism:
> it tells us that we have not done a good enough job at being a welcoming
> home for many marginalized Jews. In some cases, we probably put them on
> that fringe, and now we complain when they let go.
>
> If we had enough love and kindness for one another, we would not worry so
> much about these groups. In truth, I don't want their numbers to swell, but
> if they bring some faith in human goodness and in God to people who cannot
> find it anywhere else, I think that should be all right with us.

If anyone is looking for a way that mainstream Judaism can start trying
not to lose people to the fringe, allow me to offer up one suggestion.

I believe that nothing turns people away from organized religion faster
than money. Organized Judaism, in many places, seems entirely preoccupied
with extracting large sums of money from people.

Growing up, my family left our synagogue in Arizona because the
congregation and its management seemed more concerned about putting new
carpeting in the sanctuary than in making its families feel welcome, among
other things. Apparently, we were at the front end of a trend, as within
the next decade they went through several rabbis (who would leave and
start their own congregations elsewhere in town) and saw a precipitous
drop in membership.

Now, I'm living in New York, and with my girlfriend, attempting to find a
place where we can worship this year and hopefully beyond. We have talked
about the possibility of joining a synagogue, but we're not going to do so
unless we feel comfortable with the services and the environment. In
calling around to places in Manhattan, and even in Queens, we would be
required to pay anywhere from $150 to $300 - each - to attend services for
the High Holy Days.

Excuse me? Are working people, the middle class, not considered 'holy' or
'Jewish' because we're not willing to take on the financial burden
necessary to join the religious 'mainstream'? Is it wrong for us to
believe that the organized Jewish community should be opening its arms to
people wishing to join, rather than first handing people an itemized bill
as a precondition to entry?

I have never heard of a Christian church turning away worshippers, even on
Christmas or Easter, but it is standard practice in synagogues to require
expensive tickets for admission to services; at the least, you'll be
required to be up to date on your dues, and if you fall behind, your
tickets will be withheld.

I'm sorry if this is pulling things way off topic, but it's really been
bothering me. With that out in the open, if anyone here knows of
synagogues in New York City, preferably near to Astoria, Queens, which
don't require three-digit contributions to enter the door for Kol Nidre,
please let me know.

Thanks,

jeremy