Re: The cost of Jewish communal responsibility

I have been an officer and/or trustee of my synagogue, Beth Am, the People's
Temple, in New York City over a dozen years. We do not charge for any
services except the High Holy Days and only do that because we have to
engage a cantorial soloist or cantor since we don't have one on staff. We do
not turn away anyone from those services who can't pay. And in the entire
time I have been a member of the congregation I have never seen anyone
discouraged from membership for lack of the wherewithal; indeed, for nearly
a decade we had a homeless man who was a member who paid no dues at all.

I have also never heard of a congregation that charged for services other
than the HHD's.

But the result of all that largesse -- and as President I pushed hard for
such measures, as did all my successors -- is that we ended up broke and are
consolidating with another congregation whose debts are actually greater
than ours. (But they own their own building, free and clear while we paid
rent, a small but significant difference.)

If you are a newcomer to New York City, you have noticed that the cost of
living is pretty high in this town. That goes for synagogues, too.

I am anything but unsympathetic to your plight and your concerns. I wish
that the UAHC were able to do more to help its small congregations, but it
can't and it doesn't.

George Robinson

Cry later, but for now let's enjoy the laughter.

 --Tupac Shakur, "God Bless the Dead"