Re: Yes! Judaism: A HEADNOTE

----- Original Message -----
From: "I. Oppenheim" <i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: Yes! Judaism: A HEADNOTE

> > > With what do you not agree? That you first have to
> > > master the material before you can rise above it?
> >
> > That's one. Or are you really saying that the only
> > good artists are the versatile, technically
> > profiicent ones?
>
> No, on the contrary. A basic technical ability is only
> the starting point (As a singer once put it: If I had
> no technique, I could only weep). It is a thorough
> understanding of the musical content that is essential
> for being able to express it in an interesting way.

What is the "basic technical ability?" What is the "understanding of the
musical content?"

innovators. All three were arguably deficient in one or the other of those
two areas in comparision to other, lesser musicians.

> > Or
> > > that artistry is earned, not claimed?
> > >

> > And just who is the official judge of who has or
> > hasn't earned the title of "artist."
>
> That is your audience, I would say.

Then Britney Spears is probably more of an artist than 90% of the people
either of us listen to.