Re: Yes! Judaism: A HEADNOTE

----- Original Message -----
From: "I. Oppenheim" <i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 7:19 PM
Subject: Re: Yes! Judaism: A HEADNOTE

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, BlackMonk wrote:
>
> > > The holy Baal Shem Tov took the "text" of Judaism
> > > and developed it, improvised, expanded,
> > > embellished, polished it, while staying true to the
> > > text. Not everyone is an artist, of course.
> > > However, we can only rise above the material by
> > > mastering it first. Artistry is earned, not
> > > claimed.
> >
> > I suspect most musicians on the list'll disagree. Is
> > there anyone who CAN'T think of at least one artist
> > who only knew a few chords and wasn't too versatile,
> > but managed to do something brilliant nevertheless?
>
> With what do you not agree? That you first have to
> master the material before you can rise above it?

That's one. Or are you really saying that the only good artists are the
versatile, technically profiicent ones?  So much for Ornette Coleman, Skip
James, and Hank Williams then.

Or
> that artistry is earned, not claimed?

And just who is the official judge of who has or hasn't earned the title of
"artist."

> I think both these statements are very true, whether or
> not one can read a single note of music.

I think they've both wrong, and I never said one word about reading music.