Re: kol isha in action/re-action

i have kept quiet on this issue this round, because last time this topic
came up, I expressed how I felt about the topic fully.  Suffice it to say, I
completely disagree with those who wish to impose Kol Issah on groups.  I
completely and totally agree that this is an issue that is at the very least
archaic and inappropriate in our world today.  I very much enjoy listening
to female artists (without being sexually aroused).  I must say that the
first few times I heard a female cantor, it was a bit uncomfortable for me,
but now I enjoy listening to them as well as male cantors.  For those who
listen to my shows on the net, you will know that I feature many female
artists....(a word on the shows, I plan to return to the air live this
thursday night ...with help from Hashem).

Having said all of this, those who hold these ideas have every right to hold
them FOR THEMSELVES.  They have NO RIGHT to impose them on others.  As has
been said many times in this thread they can just stay away.  BUT  they are
not the problem with Kol Isha.

The problem is promoters who would book a group into a general forum who
would not when there MIGHT be some orthodox people who would object and then
say Kol Isha is a problem. In such a venue, it is unfair to a group to say,
you have to either get rid of the females for the night or not play at all.
Those who are orthodox should be put on notice that there are women in the
group, and then they can decide whether or not to show up!

I have no problem with them refusing to book a mixed (men and women) group
into a concert that is in an orthodox venue (such as a wedding) that they
knew before hand that kol issah is a problem.  That really only makes common
sense.  HERE the problem then is with the group.  The group should then NOT
take the gig rather than play with out female memebers.  Groups with Females
and sypathetic all male groups, should boycott all work from promoters who
do this.

The way to send the message, is TO SEND THE MESSAGE, not just complain about
it.  If promoters who want to book groups with Females in other venues,
can't do it because of their Kol Isha policies, perhaps they will get the
message.

Rabbi Winston Weilheimer
Host/OWNER
NUSACH INTERNET RADIO NETWORK
Nusach, THE ORIGINAL SOUL MUSIC!
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/nusach/

>From: "Trudi Goodman" <goobietheg (at) hotmail(dot)com>
>To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
>Subject: Re: kol isha in action/re-action
>Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:29:57 +0000

--- Begin Message ---

Dear Lorele:

 It's my feeling that this issue of Kol Isha will continue to be raised until it is resolved.

 It reminds me of when Women first started being ordained as Rabbis and Cantors and there was this huge tumult from certain sections of the Jewish Community. Well, the women(and people who love and respect women)kept pushing for women in the Rabbinate and it happened.  Of course, I know Ultra-Orthodox men who will never accept that women are religious leaders.  It's truly their loss. I know about all of the arguements in favor of Kol Isha...and they are just nonsense!

Truly,  G-d does not discriminate!  It's too bad that some people try to put HaShem in that position in order to justify their small-mindedness. I grew up around Chassidim. I love and respect them and other Orthodox Jews...but how as a woman could I ever respect women being thought of this way? Gornichts!

What can you do???  Keep making noise! Especially wonderful "noise" like singing!!!

 I think they did this dirty deed when you weren't around, because they knew what a fiesty and intelligent(not to mention talented)Jewish Woman you are...and they didn't want your opposition!

Hey, maybe these Rabbis' wives would like to come in their place? It's seems terrible to waste tickets for a good cause??? (Please note my irony)...and that way you could sing(Please note my total sarcasm and disgust, here).

P.S. Lorele: NEVER apologize for "venting". It is only through noise and activity that the World changes!!! -So keep making lots and lots of noise!!!

Love,

Trudi

--- End Message ---

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->