-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of avi finegold
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 11:41 AM
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Re: here we go again....

ok
your central point seems to be twofold, one that
orthodox people who have a problem with these concerts
should just stay away. i could not agree with you
more. like i mentioned above i have always the seen
the reponsability to fall on the male not to attend an
event rather than a woman to not perform. it seemed
from lori's story that the issue at hand was that they
invited several orthodox rabbis to attend and this
made the situation a bit stickier (it wouldnt be fair
to invite someone to an event that they fundamentally
cannot participate in). secondly, you beleive that
orthodoxy should be more accepting of non orthodox
viewpoints and be more accomodating to the work of
women, as int he case of the rabbis who told you not
to feel offended by his absence at your predentation.
again i dont think i could agree more. there are
plenty of closed minded people int he orthodox
community who only wish they could impose their beleif
system on the whole world. but that doesnt
neccessarily represent the true wishes of orthodox
judaism. however if you are looking for understanding
you cannot dissmiss something that an orthodox jew
does as being hopelessly backwards and outdated, you
have to be able to accept that this is what THEY do,
not what YOU do.

avi

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->