Re: Song Translation

Haneros Halolu - Part of the ritual of lighting candles on Channukah, this
is chanted or sung as the candles are being light.

Reb Dovid'l - Bouncy Yiddish song about a guy named Dovid'l (david)

Off the top of my head I can't provide translations but I'm sure other
people can.

Once again, the musical score for Reb Dovid'l (by Zilberts) can be found
on the LJMC website.  http://www.ljmc.org.uk/

+ I also have an arrangement of Haneros Halolu - also in capella format -
but it's not on the website, let me know if you want me to e-mail it to
you.

Regards,

Dan

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, R Locker wrote:

> Many thanks for the translation and information and also to everyone else
> who responded so tolerantly to my ignorance. I've got a couple of more songs
> to translate (Zilberts "Haneros Halolu" and his arrangement of "Reb
> Dovid'l") if you or anyone else is interested.
> Best regards,
> Richard

> Subject: Re: Song Translation
> To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:49:08 -0500 (EST)
> From: "r l reid" <ro (at) panix(dot)com>
> From: "r l reid" <ro (at) panix(dot)com>
>
> One problem in translating that from the Yiddish is that it isn't in
> Yiddish.
> It's the beginning of Havdalah (the ceremony that concludes Shabbat), and it
> is in Hebrew.
>
> Roughly,
>
> Behold, God is my deliverance
> I am confident and unafraid
> The Lord is my strength, my might, my deliverance.
> With joy shall you draw water from teh wells of deliverance.
> Deliverance is the Lord's; He will bless His people
> Adonai tzeva'ot is with us, the God of Jacob is our fortress, selah.
>
> Sim Shalom, copyright 1985 the Rabbinical Assembly.

 - Dan Jacobs
 - 07956 246 659