Re: Hazanim in NYC w/ tradl Nusach

----- Original Message -----
From: "I.Oppenheim" <i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 1:13 PM
Subject: Re: Hazanim in NYC w/ tradl Nusach

> I myself enjoy listening to Joseph Malovany at the
> 5th avenue synagogue (e. 62, btwn Fifth and Madison),
> but I don't know that much about traditional nusach.

While Malovany is certainly a gifted singer, he's at
his best on stage accompanied by a big symphony
orchestra. I'd say he's more a concert cantor than a
ba'al tefilah.

> The Orthodox Chazzanim I have spoken with tell me
> that everybody wants Carlbach, period. I wonder if
> that is true.

<Well, it is true. Probably 80% of the Orthodox public
prefers a Carlebach style service with heavy emphasis
on unison community singing. And in Reform circles,
they prefer to sing school camp music in the style of
Debbie Friedman, accompanied by a guitar.>

Not in these parts.