Re: Hazanim in NYC w/ tradl Nusach

      Nice discussion from many people; thank you.
      Note that my interest is not in finding good "Hazanus"  (note the
connotation of the ashkenazic) -- meaning great performers or people
singing great compositions.    (Tho Lefkowitz might be worthwhile -- if one
could get in to PAS at this late time.)
      I'm more interested in shuls or shteibels where an old-timer (or
someone who has learned from one) knows the nusach they did in any given
community in Europe -- (Note that, esp for the high Holidays,  there is not
just one "nusach",  but many variants according to region and maybe other
factors.  Obviously a lot that is sung nowadays is not "nusach" -- meaning
they mix things from Shabbat, or create new melodies [which have their own
potential virtues, spiritually, but that's not my quest at the moment]. )
      But to learn/hear, for example, a Galitzianer approach to Selihot, or
Avodah, or Neilah, etc., or  a Litvak, or Polish (maybe many different
sub-comunities in Poland).   Doesn't matter if the guy's voice is raspy (as
long as one can make out the notes) -- get the drift?
      Obviously only people who have lived or attended in NY are likely to
know this stuff (for this particular YK -- for other purposes, such as
interviewing people in the future, any knowledge of such people in any
community is welcome).
      But any info for the immediate "task at hand" coming in 6
days,  thanks.
      Jonathan

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->