Re: mitzvot music

It seems as if the experience of those responding to this thread is somewhat
out of the mainstream, or else it's a question of labels, rather than substance.

Take a look at The Everything Jewish Wedding Book, published in 1998, a mass
market paperback.   Chapter 5 is entitled "Traditions to Honor and Cherish" and
under the heading The Wedding Service, subheading The Wedding Vows and the Ring
identify the following as the wedding vows in Hebrew and English (I'll just
type in the English): Behold, thou art consecrated unto me with this ring
according to the law of Moses and of Israel.  Now, I'm not suggesting that this
book is authoritative, but rather indicative.

I have seen all sorts of vows at both Reform and Conservative weddings.  Some
the couple writes, some the rabbi provides.

There is no question that Protestant Christian practice has had a tremendous
effect on American Jewish religious ceremonies.  I don't think we need to go
further than that on this list.

Shira Lerner
YiddishkaytLA