Re: Does klezmer have a place in academia?

At 01:51 PM 4/25/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =
>"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word">
>Yes, the request came for Firn De Mek. for a ceremony. No dancing ,
>unfortunately. Again this week, the request, if they dance, I'll file a
>report in triplicate. AW

I hate to say it, but at least at the University of Minnesota things would
be unlikely to work that way, except perhaps in extension or non-credit
courses.  There's also always the problem of finding a Yiddish teacher with
the appropriate academic credentials.  (I'm not necessarily claiming that
advanced degrees make or break an instructor, but in reality that's the way
we do things around here.)

I also hate to be in naysayer, but as one who is definitely an academic
insider and, I might note, as a teacher of the persons were originally
raised this question and one of the first people she interviewed, I'm not
entirely positive about the prospects of klezmer on-campus.

I think I need to make myself clear on this.  There have been any number of
scholars, among them Mark Slobin, Jeffrey Summit, and Judit Fregyesi, who
have made terrific contributions to our knowledge of Jewish music.  I'd
like to think I'm doing that as well.  My concern, however, is for what
happens when an art form that is at least in part of a sacred nature gets
into the hands of those who do not treasure it in the same manner as those
who hold it sacred.  I don't mean to overstate the case, but an analogy to
be drawn with those American Indians who appreciate the presence of their
culture in academic curricula and research, but hold their performance
traditions sacred and do not wish to have them performed by those whom they
regard as outside those traditions.  I'm in no way suggesting that Gentiles
are either incapable of learning and performing Jewish music nor should
they be prevented from doing so.  Indeed, there have been a number of
prominent non-Jewish musicians who have done wonderful things for this
repertoire.  Still, it's been my experience and that on those occasions
when I've shared what I know of Jewish music with students who do not hold
it as dear as do I, I've often seen results that I have found hurtful in a
variety of ways.  In a public university like the one I teach in, all the
knowledge we disseminate is by definition public and must be shared with
whoever seeks it.  In the course of my career, many or most of the
composition students with whom I've shared my Jewish music knowledge at
their request have transformed it into projects that I did not feel
displayed appropriate sensitivity to Jewish traditions and history.  I'm
not saying that's inevitable, but you open yourself up to it every time you
share sacred knowledge in public spaces.

Needless to say, others have had better experiences than have I and I'd
love to hear more about them, as well as those whose fortunes in this
respect have resembled mine.

Shabbat Shalom,

>Leonard Koenick

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->