Re: Terkishe vs Terkisher

Thanks Sandra and Asya.  That is very useful information.
Helen
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sandra Layman
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 12:40 PM
  Subject: Re: Terkishe vs Terkisher

  Dear Helen,

  A few months ago, I, too, was getting thrown by seeing both -e and -er being
used (in my case, it was regarding the Boyberiker Kapelye).

  Here's the most succinct reply I got from the various Yiddish experts I
consulted. This was from Leonard Prager:

  <<
  "Adjectives formed by suffixation of -er to the names of cities and towns do
not inflect. They retain the -er ending in all cases, numbers and genders."

  Dovid Katz, _Grammar of the Yiddish Language_.

   Or see Uriel Weinreich, _College Yiddish_, Lesson 14 [uninflected
adjectives].

  OK, so, pulling out my Weinreich, Chapter 14, page 132, "Uninflected
Adjectives," I read:

  "Some adjectives are formed from geographical names. If their bases end in
-er or -aner, they are not inflected. They retain the same form in all cases
and genders in the singular as well as in the plural."

  So the -er ending is correct, no matter what the gender or number or case.
This rule applies to adjectives derived not just from cities and towns, but
also from other geographical entities. (Terkisher is still an adjective, since
"tants" is understood.)

  "Terkisher" with the "e" (and not a "u") is correct.

  HTH,
  Sandra