Re: Does klezmer have a place in academia?

Nu, Yakov, why don't you go to the people in charge of schedulling
classes and tell them what you want?  If you can get, say, ten people
together who want to learn something specific, perhaps they'll hire a
prof for you.  Maybe...

Yakov Chodosh wrote:

>Oh yeah, hell yeah klezmer has a place in academia. Klezmer has a place
>everywhere. EVERYWHERE! Um... particularly the University of Pittsburgh. They
>just don't know it yet. Seriously though, or more seriously -- the history and
>theory and musicologicalogicalology of klezmer is real and interesting and
>very cool. Why shouldn't it be taught in school? I mean, Sure the quality of
>the class would be directly proportional to the quality of the instructor,
>just like always. My friend Daniela is taking the class at Yale and she says
>it rocks. Gee whiz. I wish they had a class here. At least a Yiddish class. Is
>that too much to ask?
>
>And Al:
>
>>A bride requests Firn De Mekhutonim, thats a success for the music, if  the
>>Mekhutonim dance, now thats victory.
>>

>Did that happen someplace??
>
>-Brave Mother-in-Law
>http://www.pitt.edu/~ync8
>"Chow Yun-Fat should have won best actor, but it wasn't in English, so no one
>could tell." -roomate.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->