Summer plans in London?

For anyone out there for whom a trip to London might be a possibility
this summer, I would heartily recommend the following.  I was there last
summer and intend to be there again this summer.  If you have friends
who would like a most enjoyable and effective introduction to Yiddish or
to build on what they already know, the Ot Azoy course would be perfect.
KlezFest, offerered the following week, will bring in great performers
from all over the world and offer plenty of opportunities for those
interested in learning more about klezmer music.  There's lots more
information at www.jmi.org.uk about this program, located at London
University, just steps from the British Museum.

Best wishes,  Joan

KlezFest and Ot Azoy information
JMI KlezFest London and Ot Azoy! 2002
Yiddish and Klezmer Summer Schools at London University.
JM1 felt that there was scope for a new model of Yiddish language
course, catering for people who could not devote their whole summer to
it, for those that heard it as a child and now would like to see how
much they can retrieve or young people completely new to the subject. We
have devised a programme for those people who are not quite sure how
they will get on or whether they will enjoy learning Yiddish. Its just a
week, from Sunday 14 to Friday 19 July 2002, to put your toe in and try
- and its in the heart of London UK.
The course is called Ot Azoy! - this is the way... and offers to teach
you to speak, read and write Yiddish in a week! How can we make such a
preposterous offer? Well, because we have the very best and most
experienced and innovative international faculty from Europe and
America. Course director Chayele Beer, teaches Yiddish at London's
University College and she has chosen as her teachers, the inimitable
Pesakh Fiszman of Columbia University NY and Sonia Dratwa-Pinkusowitz of
the Martin Buber Institute in Brussels. Another special feature of this
course is that Zalmen Mlotek will participate during the afternoons
giving special instruction on Yiddish song pronunciation and
interpretation, as well as direct a Yiddish chorus. All London singers
are invited to join this chorus and on Sunday 21 July there will be a
choir concert.
This Yiddish Choral concert will be on the opening night of the second
JMI
KlezFest London. More of that in another email
For details and registration forms, contact Jewish Music Institute on
+44
(0)20 8909 2445 or email klezfest (at) jmi(dot)org(dot)uk you can also register
online
at Website  <outbind://3/www.jmi.org.uk> www.jmi.org.uk

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->