RE: Does klezmer have a place in academia?

Dear All
I am sure you all know that Jewish music (in all its wonderful profusion)
including practical tuition in Klezmer (by none other than Merlin Shepherd)
is taught at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of
London. It may be one of the only universities that has a full time lecturer
in Jewish music and courses are taken at undergraduate level and at post
grad.  The whole Department of Music is geared to the musical cultures of
the world and you can combine it with Indian, South Asian or African music.
You can also combine with other Jewish subjects, Zionism, Hebrew or Yiddish
studies and languages.  There is also a strong department of near and Middle
East studies. To find out the latest see the www.soas.ac.uk  or email Bryony
for a music prospectus bs22 (at) soas(dot)ac(dot)uk

It's a great place, and JMI is very happy to be placed here at SOAS.  SOAS
runs international conferences on Jewish music and London has a great Jewish
Music Festival every two years.

Its perhaps a good time to remind you that places are booking up for
KlezFest (21-25 July) in London  at SOAS, (so you can check it out) register
online at www.jmi.org.uk/klezfest. There are some scholarships available
still.

Special this year is Frank London's Klezmer Brass Allstars and the galaxy of
superstars of the faculty in concert at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on the
South Bank and Frank will also be leading a grand KlezFest jam.

Lots of people are taking the opportunity of attending the one-week crash
course in Yiddish immediately preceding KlezFest.

For the latest info on both these see the website, or email me and I will
email you the info and registration form.

See you soon
Geraldine
 E-mail klezfest (at) jmi(dot)org(dot)uk