Re: Does klezmer have a place in academia?

    As a current college student whose focus is on Jewish Music Expression
from the Eastern European aesthetic and beyond, (What the marketing
department puts under the "Klezmer" umbrella, I like to call myself a
musician that caters to the "Jewish" and "Yiddish" crowd.) I find that
Klezmer has as much a right to have a place at the Academic table as any
other type of music. The question is a place at the table good for the music?
Is a place at the table good for any other styles of music than the style of
the table? The same as you wouldn't put Queen Ann Chairs at a Bauhaus table,
does "Klezmer" fit at "Classical" music table?
    I like Tom's idea for a master degree program and as a person who is
looking at heading to grad school once I finish my undergrad degree next year
would love that type of program. But is that program what the music needs.
Zev Feldman describes the music in his article on the Bulgar as being diverse
but not eclectic. The Academic community has a way of styling subjects to
make them fit departments goal in educating its students. In a way this has
happened to the music that has come to define the "core repertoire of
klezmer" through recordings.  Changing tastes in the listening public over
the years have driven some of these changes, but so have the route that
revivalists took to learn the music.
    If one where to teach "Klezmer" music I don't believe that to full teach
it can be taught outside of a "Yiddish Culture" educational institution. My
Jewish Studies minor is made up of almost 1/3 of the classes not being about
"Jewish" culture. Every class but one could be classified as a survey class,
and even if I wanted to take something deeper they didn't offer them in any
of the Jewish classes.

    I will admit that I don't go to the perfect educational institution. I am
a Music Literature Major without the performance add on because as a
percussionist they have no place or equipment for me to practice on. Also the
only teachers they could send me to, because no of them are inside the
school, can only teach drum set. I have taken piano lessons instead most of
the time to become a better overall musician. When talking to a music history
teacher the other week she suggested that I should apply to a performance
program rather than an ethno program because I would rather perform than
anything else. My issue is do I have the type of chops that schools are
looking for having spent my time getting a well rounded education. I have
enjoyed my school experience, I just don't know if I would take the same path
if I did it again. A combination of factors lead me to this path at the time.

    I don't know if any forms of music other than classical can be taught in
side the academic frame work. And even then for the performers, is that the
frame work that will help them the most in the career that they want as
performers. The key is being able to have a good mentor/teacher/guru
relationship.

Matt Temkin