RE: Where are you from?

I'm new to the list, and have enjoyed learning about list members through
this thread, especially about people I have met and know of.

I grew up in South Phila., with Strawberry Mansion one of the two Phila.
Jewish immigrant communities. My zayde was the shamash of the shul we lived
next door to, and my father , Ben Davis, born in Europe, was first a
yontoivim mole makher, and then a yontov chazen, davenning in So. Phila.
and South Jersey. South Phila. certainly lost lots of its immigrant Jewish
population (not all, though -- see Rakhmiel Pelz's fine book "From
Immigrant to Ethnic Culture"), and my family stayed longer than most.

My family moved to Northeast Phila., and while our neighborhood was
primarily Jewish, and the public schools were empty on almost all Jewish
holidays, the community was hard at work assimilating, and the flavor of
Jewish life was thinning, rapidly.

My connection to my old country was my father -- he performed Yiddish folk
and art song programs and concerts around Phila., at venues like Hadassah
meetings and Bagel and Lox hours on Sunday mornings, and he schlepped me
along when I was a teenager to accompanied him on piano and guitar. By the
time it was too late, when my father became sick, I began enjoying it, and
realizing what a gift he had given me, and what I had lost.

I moved to Amherst, MA for graduate school in 1966, and have lived here
ever since. As a double bass player, I've been active in "Pioneer Valley"
classical music circles, and more recently, I've been very active in the
local Jewish music scene at our synagogue, the Jewish Community of Amherst.
I've taught courses there on aspects of Jewish music, organized Jewish
Music Festivals, created a String Kapelye and run klezmer workshops, helped
organize children's and adult choruses, and helped lead musical religious
services.

My wife and I have no plans to move anywhere else -- our sons are grown,
and one is married and lives locally. It's taken many years, but as the
older generation back in Phila. is now completely gone, we're it, and this
is home. Abi Gezunt!

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->