Re: Sherill Milnes/Kalmanoff's "The Joy of Prayer"

In a message dated 2/5/02 12:10:53 AM, IKochinska (at) aol(dot)com writes:

<< Sherrill Milnes, on the
other hand, was not very interested in chatting with a little starstruck
opera fan.  (Sniff!)  He also never seemed very interested in the gig, which
made it all the stranger for us, the choir, when we got wind of what his fee
was. >>

That's actually too bad. The cantor with whom I worked on one of the songs
that Milnes sang on that recording said "I swear, if I were to ever meet
Milnes I would say to him that his Joy of Prayer was his best work! It's so
great!" Maybe he wouldn't even remember recording it, but would probably just
grunt. I personally so distaste musicians who feel so removed, feel they're
too above their back-up musicians to be friendly. And with their usual fees -
and OUR usual fees -  they needn't!  Our fellow classical/klezmer colleague,
Mr. Perlman, leaned very much in that direction when he would solo with the
symphony. In and out, fast, making it quite clear that he was being paid by
the note and wasn't going to give anything extra, either musically or
conversationally. Sad, because in the end people are sometimes remembered
more for their mentchlikh behavior - or lack of - than for anything.
Adrianne