Re: Dancing

I don't think we are going to come up with a title to best describe dancing
to Klezmer music.  When I teach at senior camp, most of the participants are
over the age of 80.  It doesn't matter whether I refer to the dancing as
Klezmer or Yiddish: they ask if it is something different from Israeli or
assume it is Hasidic.  It is amazing to me that when I mention that I do or
teach Klezmer dance there are still many people who don't know the term
Klezmer or know anything about the music.  Some of these people are Jewish.

> I find that, when I'm in a situation where there is a lot of
> instruction, dancers tend to do "follow the leader" and don't do
> their own movements.
I personally feel this is a good thing.  When I'm leading a group of people
of different ages, sizes, ability (and these are not dancers but people who
get up to dance for only certain occasions) this type of repetitiveness helps
them feel as if they are doing a real Klezmer/Yiddish dance because it is
identifiable as khosidl or bulgar or whatever and when they see everyone else
is doing it they same way they feel a certain amount of success or
accomplishment.  Especially if a dance is fast like a freylach, the more
people dance somewhat alike the less chance of the mish mash.

And on the subject of Israeli dancing,  What a treat it would be to be able
to do Israeli dancing at a wedding or other simcha with others who know the
dances well with a musician or band that can play the music exactly as it is
meant to be danced.  Those of us who do know it well and dance it well never
look as if we are just jumping and running around the circle. I think what
most of us encounter at simchas are people who get up to dance and not
dancers.  The energy and enthusiasm is much different when knowledable
dancers are dancing.  It's a shame that when Israeli dancers are invited to a
big party we end up using recorded music.  Just think of the energy that
could be generated by a band who knows how to play these great dance tunes
for dancers who know how to dance to them.

Willa(always ready to dance)Horowitz

Willa Horowitz

Leader and teacher of Israeli, Jewish and International folk dance

130 Mount Sanford Road
Hamden, CT 06518
203-248-0291

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->