Re: First Night klezmer

about First Night klez . . . I got a call years ago from an Akron (Ohio)
First Night organizer, who said, "I just got back from the First Night
annual meeting in Boston, and everybody there said you have to have a
klezmer band!"

Klezmer is perfect for First Nights.  Klezmer is wholesome; it's
family-oriented; it's non-alcoholic!  (Or the opposite, depending on the
venue and musicians.)

about Yiddish dance . . . first thing that comes to mind is "Yiddish" means
a language, not a place.  Though it is becoming a place -- something like
Epcot.  I like the terms  "Yiddishland" and "Yiddish dance," but I don't
think the Jewish street -- hah -- recognizes these expressions yet.

-Bert Stratton
Yiddishe Cup

At 08:50 AM 12/29/01 -0500, you wrote:
>There are enough klezmer bands performing first night (but not here in
Boston--in fact, the only thing Jewish here in Boston is a band playing
Israeli folk songs or something. By me, that is not enough) here in the
Northeast and Midwest that I have set up a special "first night" section on
the KlezmerShack calendar:

>http://www.klezmershack.com/klezcalendar.html#firstnight
>
>If I don't have an event of Jewish music interest listed, please let me
know soonest so that I can add it in time.