A Hanukkah-Klezmer Story

I found the best children's Hanukkah picture/story book in Chapters
yesterday!  Shira's Hanukkah Gift written by Joan Betty Stuchner with
beautiful illustrations by Richard Row.  According to the title page, it was
formerly known as "The Kugel Valley Klezmer Band".  It is published by
Scholastic Canada Ltd.

The setting is Canada and the story relates how a 10 year old girl fills in
for the regular fiddle player in a Klezmer band at a Hanukkah party gig.
The illustrations are so well done that I was sure that I could hear the
klezmer music in my head as I read the story.

This is a wonderful story for sharing the passion for klezmer music with
your kids.  I can see how this story could be even be used in a kids'
concert setting with narration and music - the way that Peter and the Wolf
incorporates instruments and a story.  As Shira practises on her toy fiddle
she would get better and better.....You just have to read the story.

Karen
klg8 (at) hotmail(dot)com