Re: Dancing

At 10:01 AM 12/29/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I need some help.  I am working on publicizing the dance event, led by Erik
>Bendix, that will take place here in Cleveland on February 24th, 2002.  I
>was talking with the head of the Cleveland Yiddish Cultural Committee who
>took me to task for using "Yiddish Dance".  He instists that the word
>Yiddish cannot be used with
>dance.  I told him that this is what some people are calling it.  He also
>nixed "Klezmer Dance".  The phrase "Traditional Eastern European Jewish
>Dance" is correct, but unwieldly.  Who has a good suggestion, or some
>convincing rationale, for a good name?

Well, given that this is dance outside of its traditional context (weddings and
simkhas), why would it bother someone to give it a name that associates the
dancing with the correct culture? Yiddish dance, or klezmer dance, both sound
fine to me as ways of indicating to people that this is a style of dance
familiar to Jews of Eastern and Central Europe.

I mean, "klezmer music" wasn't known as "klezmer music" until the
revival--until Zev Statman and Andy Feldman used the term (from Beregovski) on
an album title. For that matter, "klezmer" was a term for a lousy musician too
incompetent to play anything but traditional gigs--badly--until recently. Ask
oldtimers at klezkamp what they would have thought of someone who called them
"klezmers" or "klezmorim" fifty years ago.

On the other hand, you also can't use too broad a brush. Old-timers, especially
at the workmen's circle or similar Jewish organizations might have called this
"Jewish" dance, just as old-time musicians with whom I have talked referred to
"Jewish" music, thinking of their own way of "Jewish" as universal (and seeking
to differentiate from, say, "American dance"). But "Jewish" encompasses a whole
world. Michael Alpert and fellow-organizers held a festival a couple of summers
ago of the various Jewish cultures represented by recent immigrants from the
former Soviet Union: Ashkenazi crooners to klezmer to Mountain and Bukharan
Jews and a few more stops on the way. That's significantly more territory than
most of us consider when we're thinking of the dance performed by Eastern
European Yiddish speakers over half a century (and more) ago.

Just my two cents,
ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/