Re: First Night klezmer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bert Stratton" <yiddcup (at) en(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2001 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: First Night klezmer

> about First Night klez . . . I got a call years ago from an Akron (Ohio)
> First Night organizer, who said, "I just got back from the First Night
> annual meeting in Boston, and everybody there said you have to have a
> klezmer band!"
>
> Klezmer is perfect for First Nights.  Klezmer is wholesome; it's
> family-oriented; it's non-alcoholic!  (Or the opposite, depending on the
> venue and musicians.)
<snip>
It was hearing Hankus' band at a First Night in Boston that got my wife and
me turned on to that kind of music.  I'm sure we weren't the only ones who
"caught the bug" that way.

One of the nice things about First Night is that it encourages you to attend
kinds of entertainment that you aren't familiar with.  At worst, you lose an
hour or less of the evening.  At best you find something exciting.