Women-Only Concert Puzzle

On April 17, 2000, Eliott Kahn announced on this newgroup what sounded
like a wonderful concert at the Old Broadway Temple, but that could be
attended by women only.

"On Monday, April 24th at 7:00 PM, a special Passover concert called WOMAN
TO WOMAN will feature Ladino and Hebrew songs interpreted by the lovely
voice of Ofri Eliaz........
This concert will include other fun events and will be for women only."

I inquired on this news group if that were really possible.  I expected an
outcry -- not to my own message but to the idea of having a concert
restricted to women attendees.

The only response was a polite question,

"Why is this concert for women only?"

from Dick Rosenthal to Eliott Kahn, who answered:

"If the only way I can present female singers at an Orthodox shul is
for women audiences only, so be it. This concert and any future concerts
at Old Broadway Synagogue featuring female singers will be for women
only."

Would someone be so kind, and tell me how that concert passed by this
newgroup with hardly a ripple, whereas the Kol Isha topic generated such a
storm?  The storm even posed the possibility of only-women-allowed and
no-women-allowed venues.

Why now, and not then??  Perhaps women accept the no-men rule but not the
no-women rule, or ... , or ... , or what?

Yoram Gelman