Re: About The Rockin' Rebbetzin

Dear Bob:
No, Bob, I don't think of Reform Judaism as 'secular.'

I was thinking of Fran Avni, doing some 'secular' albums such as "Israeli
World Beat"  and so on. She also has some very fine children's songs,
("Mostly Matzah Cassette", "Latkes and Hamentashen", --which I think I must
have heard a zillion times when working with small children some years
ago).  Hope this clarifies it. and BTW, this is a world away, musically,
from suki and ding for kids.

I don't know Debbie Friedman, and have only met her in passing once. I
can't speak to her personal identifications. But her music is as closely
associated with the Reform as music gets-- for someone who isn't an
official of the movement (that I know of). However, that association does
seem to be changing somewhat in the most recent years, with some of her
songs being picked up by camps and synagogues from other movements in the US.
Judy

At 10:22 PM 2/26/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Judy,
>
>I don't believe that Friedman identifies herself as "REFORM" (although
>her music is most commonly sung by reform Jews) and she's certainly
>not "secular".  Were you referring to another of the singers when you
>wrote "secular".  I imagine that my Reform friends (most of them
>rabbis) would be quite surprised to hear to hear their movement
>described as secular, if that's what you did.  (Am I correct that the
>words below are yours?  It was a bit difficult to figure out from the
>formatting.)
>
>I make this point (even if I am misreading you), because it's very
>common for people to identify the Orthodox as religious and all others
>not.  In fact, this was the focal point of my exchanges with Jordan on
>the issue of Kol Isha.
>
>Bob

Judith S. Pinnolis
Reference Librarian
Coordinator for Publications and Training
Brandeis University Libraries
Goldfarb Library MS045
P.O Box 549110
Waltham, MA 02454-9110