Don't Bulls**t A Bulls**ter !

Dear List Members,

I have debated very hard as to whether to send this out to the list. I sent
it to  a couple of people on the list in whose judgment I have enough faith
that if I am out of line, they will let me know. Being as they are in the
music business, they agree with me, as this has happened to them as well --
numerous times.

THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT ANY PARTICULAR INDIVIDUAL! MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, THEY
OCCUR WITH WALK IN CUSTOMERS.

Simon Vents His Spleen!
If you don't want to read my tirade- and it's a long one -just delete this
now!

<< I can't seem to find a copy of the first Bikel album with Mu Asapru on
>it.  The few places that list it don't actually have it.  Does anyone
>have a copy to sell me?

Oh Really?????????
Things that "TICK" me off # 1- "I'd Pay ANYTHING To Get this Record"

Since the original post about the song "Mu Asapru" by Theo Bikel, I have had
many requests for this song. The original recording was on Elektra
approximately 40 years ago. There were 3 Yiddish recordings in the series.
All the LPs included a booklet with the lyrics. For short period of time,
they were reissued by Bainbridge Records, they have since gone bankrupt, and
the recordings are again out of print.

I buy a lot of old record for my private collection form various "rare
record" vendors, so when I get a request from anyone on the list for a cut
out, I am always glad to refer people to these various dealers that I have
dealt with in the past since these are people that I believe are ethical and
whose pricing is more than reasonable.

One of my best sources for records is  www.hotplatters.com  The owner, Ed
Odel didn't deal in Jewish Music until I told him that there was a demand for
recordings that people are just throwing away. At my urging, he started
acquiring some Jewish lps..many of which I picked up. He says that a
recording is in "good condition" then you can bet it is in EXCELLENT
condition and his pricing is very fair.

A certain member of the list emerald me many times about the LP. Each time, I
would Emil them back with ALL the information as to where to get it, and
price-which was very reasonable (and cheaper than the price of a CD) for the
condition of a MINT record. To then say one can't find a copy for sale and
ask for someone to run of a copy for "free" is pretty tacky.  If you had no
intention of buying it why waste our time. I wasn't selling it, I was only
trying to help someone locate the recording (and spent 2 days doing it), and
get no commission from it.

Things That TICK Me Off # 2 -  "Nobody Has To Know"

This has happened MANY times in our shop!
 A well known Jewish (Music) recording artist come to us desperately looking
for sheet music that they were to perfume at a major concert and "the pay was
FANTASTIC." I was told that the artist couldn't find it anywhere and "Would
Pay ANYTHING" to locate that song since it was a special request.  I had the
song in a book, the total cost of the book was about $15.00.

The 'artist' then said, "Gee, I don't want to spend THAT much for just one
song, I only need it for one show. If I give you $1.00, would you let me make
a photocopy" When I informed our "star" that it was not only unethical but
illegal, the reply was, "Nobody has to know"!

The book in question was published by Velvel Pasternak. Velvel has devoted a
good part of his life publishing Jewish music books.I will bet you that he
has spent many hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars to give us
something for which there is unfortunately such a limited audience -- as is
the case for Jewish recordings. Hundreds of these books must be sold just to
break even, let alone make enough of a profit to publish the NEXT book. If we
were in the business of "renting" his books, how much longer do you think he
would be willing to publish?

We, I got that off my chest, now, let's eat!
Simon