Re: Germans and Klezmer

Lori,
I'm glad you can separate the music you
play from the "Memories of the Fallen."
I would think that that particular kind
of music would evoke exactly such memories,
however.

I don't think the technical virtuosity of
your band's musicianship or the unique clarinet
or violin solos, whatever, are the reasons
why you're getting paid the big bucks (in
Deutschmarks). Now, I know a lot of Jewish
performers whom I respect do tour Germany
and other relatively Judenrein parts of
Europe. I can't begrudge someone parnosse,
whether it's earned at simkhas or in the
concert halls, but I think the specific
ethnic character of the music we're talking
about is essential to it, whereas Shostakovich
or Prokofiev or even Bloch could be said just
to be basing their music on Jewish themes.
I don't think that's controversial.

'Deracinated' klezmer is an oxymoron, however,
in my opinion. I would like to hear responses
to the questions you raise about the German
klezmorim as well as about the (only?) two
categories you've chosen as alternative
directions.

Lee