those who suffered and died. We may
not presume to act for them.

I am just asking those well-meaning
(for the most part), talented German
musicians to refrain from intruding in
Yiddish culture if they wish to claim
any sensitivity to human feelings.

Incidentally, if you were a soldier who
"fought back," I don't think you should so
carelessly repeat that the victims of the
Holocaust didn't fight back, no matter
how little thay had in the way of weapons.
The Warsaw ghetto rose up without help
from the neighboring Poles or the Americans
and, somehow, partisans did what they could
to a degree that exceeded efforts of other
"occupied" nations.

Josh, Ari,
Whatever their motives, however great
their virtuosity, however innocent and
well-meaning they may be as our fellow
human beings, they must recognize that
the results of their efforts will likely
be received as painful intrusions by those
of us who have "organic" connections to it.

As an American, I feel contrite about the
atrocities committed in American history
(l'havdil), and I wouldn't presume to
intrude in Native American cultural
activities, for example. And, Ari, I don't
think you should bring up Deir Yassin
(or even Etzion) in the same breath as
the Shoah. If all atrocities are equal,
then denying Germans the moral "right"
to play Klezmer music would be morally
equivalent to what?

The argument seems to be that playing
Klezmer music is a basic human right to
which these (German) human beings are
just as entitled as any ployni ben ployni.

I wouldn't deny anyone any human right;
I simply want their "Klezmer" music "out
of my face." I enjoy the music of German
musicians when they play music that is not so
closely tied to this specific Jewish culture
which their nation/society nearly succeeded in
destroying.

Perhaps such a concert at the site of the
planned Berlin memorial would entice the
mayor of that city to attend. Perhaps a
concert at a street naming organized to
honor Marlene Dietrich or another German
anti-Nazi artist would be a nice gesture.

I am German born, so I guess I have the
right to be a Klezmer musician, too.
Leopold Friedman