RE: Klezmer in Lederhosen

   Admittedly this is always an uncomfortable situation for Jewish
performers, to have German and German-nationals interested in "our" music.
When I perform Yiddish and Ladino, invariably at least one or two German or
Austrian people will come up to me after a performance and tell me how much
they liked the music. -Usually in their mid-20s. When this first started
happening over 10 years ago, I would get pissed off.  My feeling was that
well, that's all very well and good that you like my music, EXCEPT that
there would be a whole world of Yidn who would be able to hear it and sing
it and perform it, too if it wasn't for your fathers and grandfathers.  I
also felt sad, too because I didn't want to HATE this kids...they know
perfectly well what their relatives did to Jews and others. THAT'S part of
why they were coming up to me to begin with, after my gigs.  They wanted to
let me know, implicitly and explicitly that they were NOT like their
families.
     It's now 10 years later and some of these "kids" are playing klezmer.
I say, you've/I've got to take it person by person and group by group.
Certainly, some are in it for the gelt, some for the guilt, some for the
love of the music.  P.S. There are Jews in Germany and German-speaking
countries who want to hear from Yidn and Jewish musicians.  My ex's family
are German Jews who for the most part never left Switzerland.  By the Way...
I hope that people are not offended that I use the term Yidn, where I come
from it is a Working-Class Jewish Endearment and is intended that way!!!
   P.S. As for the Lez stuff...well only HaShem knows what anyone does with
their own time and energies, n'cest pas???? My Tati (bHohso) always referred
to Jews for Jesus as Jests for Jewsus. Sounds good to me!

     Be Well and Hey it's almost time for Hamentashen, yum!!!!

     Trudi the G